Dame Keki's blueberry cup cakes, a win for your every season
It is that time of the year when the Jacarandas bloom blessing us with breathtaking visuals. The serenity that comes with those purple flowers beautifully littering the ground scream ‘Picnic O’clock!’ Yeah, a picnic is a good idea around this time. And we know picnics are not complete without some snacks. Also, where is the fun in going for a picnic with the regular snacks this season? I mean, the blooming doesn’t happen every day… go the extra mile and do purple snacks.
And since we’re always here for you season in, season out, we connected with Rosemary, winner of the first season of the Great Bake-off and the founder of Dame Keki, who gave us a recipe for this season.
It is a recipe you can easily whip up at home.
BLUE BERRY AND BLACKBERRY LEMON CUPCAKES
Makes 24 cupcakes
• 2.5 cups of flour
•1 ½ tsp baking powder
• ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
• 1 tsp of salt
• 1 cup of fresh/ tinned blueberries
• 1 cup of fresh/tinned blackberries
• Rind of 2 lemons
• 1 cup sugar
• 3 eggs
• ½ a cup of unsalted butter
• ½ a cup of veg oil
• 1 tsp of vanilla extract
• 2 cups of sour milk-mala
• 1 tbsp vinegar
• Juice of 2 lemons
· 250g of unsalted butter
· 250g of icing sugar
· 2 tbsp of milk
· 3 tbsp of blueberry compote (¼ cup of fresh blueberries, juice of one lemon, 2 tbsp sugar combined and simmered for 8minutes)
· 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat your oven to 100degrees Celsius
2. Sieve and combine all dry ingredients together
3. Cream sugar, lemon rind and butter for 5 minutes till combined. Add one egg at a time and combine till emulsified.
4. Combine the mala, cooking oil, vinegar, lemon juice and vanilla in a jug
5. Add the dry ingredients to the beaten sugar, butter and egg mixture in 3 parts, alternating with the wet ingredients. Stop as soon as the mixture is all incorporated making sure that you do not overbeat. This will make the cake tough.
6. Once the mixture is incorporated, fold in the blueberries and blackberries.
7. Spoon into prepared cupcake liners and bake for 20-22mins.
1. Beat butter until white and fluffy.
2. Add the icing sugar, vanilla and 2 tbsp. of milk. Beat till incorporated.
3. Fold in the blueberry compote
4. Put into a piping bag with star shaped tip and pipe rosettes on the cooled cupcakes
5. Top with fresh blueberries or blackberries.
With this you are set for the all purple picnic. All purple because we got your look sorted here too.