Keep the little chef munchies fuller for longer with this easy peasy corn-dog recipe
By Waithera Mbuthia
It’s been one long holiday for the children since the pandemic hit. And with the ‘stay home, stay safe’ directive, indoors have been boring for them. Keeping them busy while indoors is not a walk in the park for parents. And if they are eating as much as mine are eating, then I feel your frustration.
But worry not, here is a recipe I can swear by. The corn-dogs… these snacky bites have kept my sons busy since they are easy and fun to make, so we now make them together and whatsmore? They keep them full for longer.
● 1 pack of hot dogs/smokies
● ½ cup of maize/corn flour
● ½ cup all-purpose flour
● 2 tbsp. of sugar
● 2 tsp of baking powder
● 1/8 tsp salt
● 1 large egg
● ½ cup whole milk
● Vegetable oil for frying
● Lollipop sticks.
- In a bowl, mix the corn meal, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a separate cup, whisk together the egg and milk. Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Cut the hot dogs into halves and insert the lollipop sticks into the cut off end of each hot dog.
- Add oil in a pot and heat in medium heat until well heated.
- Dip the corn dogs into the batter until well coated, shaking off the excess batter lightly. Dip into the hot oil and fry until golden brown and crispy- about 3 minutes, then transfer to a paper lined plate. Repeat the process for all the hot dogs.
- Serve while still warm.
This can serve as many as you want, depending on the number of hot dogs/sausages you use, and also the number of children. Don’t forget toput their appetite into consideration.
But, is a sure way of engaging the little chefs during this very long holiday.
Stay safe, as we learn more ways of keeping them busy.